On the Media is accepting applications from people interested in helping out with the production of the program. Internships generally last three months, are unpaid, and are part-time. They take place at WNYC Radio in New York City, where OTM is produced.
Winter: December - February
Spring: March - May
Summer: June - August
Fall: September - November
Winter: October 31
Spring: January 31
Summer: April 30
Fall: July 31
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Interns are an integral part of OTM's staff and assist with all aspects of the show's production. They sit in on editorial meetings, provide research assistance, and perform various administrative tasks involved in the daily running of the office. Over the course of the three months, interns learn basic production skills, including field recording and digital audio editing, and are eventually encouraged to produce at least one segment for the show.
The most important qualification for On the Media interns is a working knowledge of the topics we discuss on the show. While we do not expect new interns to have any experience with radio production, some journalism experience is preferred. Basically, we are looking for applicants who are motivated, avid media consumers, and excited about learning.
How to Apply
Please send us a single Microsoft Word document which includes the following information:
- A resume
- A cover letter explaining why you want to be an OTM intern.
- Answers to the following questions:
1. Describe two of your favorite OTM segments, and why you liked them. (All previous shows are archived on the website.)
2. Describe one or two segments or shows that you think were less successful. Why didn't they work for you?
3. Suggest two story ideas (one paragraph each) for OTM. These can be pitches for simple "host-interviews-guest" segments, or for longer reporter pieces with multiple voices. In addition to describing the idea itself, you should also include ideas for voices in the piece/interview.
4. Tell us about your "media diet." (favorite magazines, TV shows, news sources, etc.)
If you have any questions about the internship application process, please feel free to contact OTM producer Alex Goldman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be submitted by mail AND electronically. For the electronic portion of the internship you can apply here.
Send snail-mail materials to:
On the Media, WNYC Radio
160 Varick Street, New York, NY 10013