On the Media is accepting applications from people interested in helping out with the production of the program. Internships generally last three months, are unpaid, and are part-time. They take place at WNYC Radio in New York City, where OTM is produced.
Winter: December - February
Spring: March - May
Summer: June - August
Fall: September - November
Winter: October 31
Spring: January 31
Summer: April 30 (Note: We are not accepting applications for summer 2015.)
Fall: August 8
Interns are an integral part of OTM's staff and assist with all aspects of the show's production. They sit in on editorial meetings, provide research assistance, and perform various administrative tasks involved in the daily running of the office. Over the course of the three months, interns learn basic production skills, including field recording and digital audio editing, and are eventually encouraged to produce at least one segment for the show.
The most important qualification for On the Media interns is a working knowledge of the topics we discuss on the show. While we do not expect new interns to have any experience with radio production, some journalism experience is preferred. Basically, we are looking for applicants who are motivated, avid media consumers, and excited about learning.
How to Apply
If you are applying as an Intern: Please submit your application via the listing on WNYC's jobs site:
If you are applying as a Volunteer: Please submit your application to email@example.com with the subject line “On the Media volunteer application.”
All internship/volunteer applications must be submitted by mail AND electronically.
Please send us a single Microsoft Word document which includes the following information:
- A resume
- A cover letter explaining why you want to be an OTM intern.
- Answers to the following questions:
1. Describe two of your favorite OTM segments, and why you liked them. (All previous shows are archived on the website.)
2. Describe one or two segments or shows that you think were less successful. Why didn't they work for you?
3. Suggest two story ideas (one paragraph each) for OTM. These can be pitches for simple "host-interviews-guest" segments, or for longer reporter pieces with multiple voices. In addition to describing the idea itself, you should also include ideas for voices in the piece/interview.
4. Tell us about your "media diet." (favorite magazines, TV shows, news sources, etc.)
Send snail-mail materials to:
On the Media, WNYC Radio
160 Varick Street, New York, NY 10013
Questions about the application and/or the position can be sent to Meara Sharma (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject heading "On the Media Internship."
Due to the high volume of submissions, we are able to respond only to the candidates selected for interview. We appreciate your interest in employment with OTM.