NPR CEO O-U-T

Friday, March 07, 2008

After only 18 months as head of National Public Radio, CEO Ken Stern stepped down on Thursday by “mutual agreement” with the board. Current reporter Karen Everhart says Stern’s ideas about the direction of public radio, including an aggressive push into digital media, met with resistance from influential member stations.

Robert A. Lufburrow from Sandpoint Idaho

I'm glad to see that some other folks see Lou Dobbs for what he is. His "insights" seem to be those of a high school drop out. He has well informed people on his program and then he does his best to make them say what it is HE believes. ... Any wonder that when I see his face on the screen I quickly switch channels?

Apr. 03 2008 07:32 PM

So, this segment is an answer to critics who have wondered, in these comments, whether you could do a fair piece on the workings of NPR. This report explained the issues and the politics of the change at the top.

Bravo!

I guess I'll side with the stations until the utility of localized media is somehow replaced.

Mar. 12 2008 01:43 AM
Bob Foos from Webb City, MO

Can Dennis Haarsager bring back Bob Edwards? Why THE voice and personality of NPR was let go remains an unsolved mystery, to me anyway.

When my local station goes in classical mode, I stream a variety of stations and subscribe to podcasts such as yours. That's all the digital I need for now.

Mar. 11 2008 03:28 PM
Bellview Deviant Unit

Just wanted to thank this show for allowing us access for the weekend to your streaming audio of OTM and for the 10 Gallon Cooler of Mountain Dew.

Mar. 10 2008 09:18 AM
Mark Jeffries from Chicago, IL

Please tell me where it states that NPR is supposed to be the far-left-wing version of Rush Limbaugh, Robert. What's your problem with an objective, centrist news service? If you want the far-left-wing equivalent of Rush Vicodin or Loofah Felafel, go listen to Air America. People who don't want to be told how to think will continue to listen to NPR.

And don't you mean "listeners," not "listers?" And I thought you public radio listeners were supposed to be great intellectuals.

Mar. 09 2008 03:51 PM
Robert from NYC

Yes, the listers also notice the direction NPR is taking and it's not appreciated. It's the reason I will not give to NPR. You are becoming more corporate and present reporting like any other corporate media organization, e.g., CNN, blech! The crappy present each side of the story and let it lie there even when one of those sides may obviously be WRONG!!! Well WRONG!!! It should be the media's duty, DUTY, to report then point out the differences then present what is wrong with any side and right with any side. But these days you just wimp out. Blech, yet again. NPR, you have degenerated into CNN-ness. For goodness sake you interviewed Glen Beck as a legitimate thinker! GLEN BECK? LOLOLOLOLOL. Need I say more.

Mar. 09 2008 10:32 AM