The News Then and Now

Friday, January 09, 2009

It took about 20 years in the 1600's for the modern newspaper to come into being. An exhibit at the Folger Shakespeare Library in D.C. traces the birth of the form. Bob pays the exhibit a visit to observe how much has changed with news in the past 400 years.

anonymous from CA

Thank you for an entertaining story. The more things change, the more they stay the same. It made me smile.

Jan. 19 2009 01:28 PM
Chris Gray from New Haven

And spell checking.

Jan. 11 2009 11:36 PM
Chris Gray from New Haven

That's pretty much the way I remember the story, also, Nick. Besides, he actually credited editing to collective action when Brooke has been away.

I loved the sly modern examples of the same flaws of 16th century journalism as are in evidence today. When you get whimsical, it even more enjoyable than when you pull an Olbermann (as best lampooned on SNL, recvently).

I also enjoyed the link to the museum website.

Looking at the woodcut illustrations reminded of when Steve Yura, the talented staff artist for The Connecticut Elder, who livened our pages with his drawings, did a new, seasonally thematic masthead drawing for each monthly issue and our local daily stole the idea for above the name on their Thanksgiving and Christmas editions.

That's what we got for skipping the copyrighting.

Jan. 11 2009 11:34 PM
ceolaf

Well done, sir. Well done.

Jan. 11 2009 05:43 PM
Spiro Bolos from Chicago

Dear Nick,

There was actually a past episode of OTM in which Bob explained the pause. I wish I knew how to find the exact moment, but I don't.

The basic way I remember it was that Bob and Brooke used to work together previous to this show, and I guess Bob often questioned her editing choices, thought most others thought her edits made him sound much better. I think Bob eventually came around to this consensus view, but still pays tribute to it, begrudgingly.

Jan. 11 2009 02:26 PM
Nick from NYC

Dear Burning Question Department:

I've tried to resist, but I can no longer stand it....!

Can you please tell me why there is always a pregnant pause during the final show credits, as follows:

"and edited.......... by Brooke"

I always wait for the surprise announcement that it's been edited by............ someone else!.......... but it never comes. Is he scanning the studio visually, to see if there is someone else handy to pin this on? (just kidding, love the show!)

Is this some lower-key NPR-flavored version of

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!" or...