The Amygdala Goes Hollywood

Friday, October 02, 2009

What do you get when you cross an fMRI machine with the movie industry? Neurocinema. MindSign co-founder Philip Carlsen and neurologist Dr. David Hubbard explain how their brain scan research may help directors give the audience what it wants.

John Lloyd from Chicago

Here's a Talk of the Nation story on "neuromarketing".

I can vouch for what the guest says about tobacco warnings - that they make people want to smoke. I know that I may go hours without even thinking about smoking, but as soon as I see one of those PSAs or a Zyban commercial, I think about lighting up. You can bet that the tobacco companies were among he first to learn that the PSAs make people want to smoke; the settlement was a windfall for them. Not only were they compelled by the government to "advertise", they were actually given the opportunity to do it on a medium which had previously been prohibited to them. I suppose I could be outraged, but I basically find it amusing.

Oct. 06 2009 06:59 PM
John Lloyd from Chicago

steve doughton: "We're supposed to believe that bean counters voicing opinions on actual take selections will improve the "art" of film-making in Hollywood?"

I think that it's not very likely this technology will find its way into artful filmmaking. This is for Jerry Bruckheimer territory.

Oct. 06 2009 05:42 PM
steve doughton from portland, OR

Oct. 05 2009 11:52 PM
John Lloyd from Chicago

"And now what do you see as the disadvantages to eating grain based foods?

Okay I'm going to read you some different emotions. Got a whole list of them here. For each one of them I just want you to tell me either yes or no as to whether or not you think you feel that emotion when you're eating white bread.

Okay. The first one is accepting. Do you feel accepting when you're eating white bread?"

"Yeah. I would say yes."

"Affectionate?"

"No."

"Lonely?"

"No."

"Disappointed?"

"No."

"Afraid?"

"No."

"Trusting?"

"No, I don't think that would be an issue."

"Would you feel uncertain?"

"Yeah, a little uncertain."

Oct. 05 2009 12:56 PM
John Lloyd from Chicago

Reminds me of the Frontline program, "The Persuaders", which features Bob, BTW.

You can watch the program online. It's quite good.

Oct. 05 2009 12:07 PM
Borkistan Liberation Front from United States of Homeland Security

this essay treats a similar topic from a slightly different angle:

Oct. 04 2009 07:24 PM