"Why I'm not Afraid to Take your Money"

Friday, March 12, 2010

A frequent refrain in the music industry is that the future is not about selling CDs, but about creating relationship between musicians and fans. If it's true, musician Amanda Palmer is a good case study. One half of the band The Dresden Dolls, she explains that she raised $19,000 from her fans on Twitter in just 10 hours.

Karol Franco from Raleigh, North Carolina

The secret is to get people talking about you, your music, and with each other. It's always been called creating The Buzz for years. With the social networks we can so easily create The Buzz now.

Dec. 10 2010 12:47 AM
Arianna from Raleigh, NC

The thing is, musicians KNOW how to get their fans' money. People will do just about anything to feel just a tad close to any celebrity, and stars know this.

Oct. 31 2010 08:04 PM
Bree Gassner from Colorado

The music industry is solely driven by money, no matter how many illegal downloads 12-year-old Jimmy gets, the artists and labels are still rolling in the money because their fans love them. Many artists have "sold-out" because of the money they make from becoming exactly what their preteen demographic wants.

Apr. 28 2010 01:21 AM
Lauren Dominick

I am a firm believer in the fact that in today's society if people in the music industry want to make it anywhere they need to have a bond with their fans. It's harder for people in the music industry to make money today because piracy has become such a huge pandemic. If music industry performers want to make it anywhere in this world it is very important to rely on something else besides hitting the high notes.

Apr. 27 2010 07:56 PM
VRS from Orlando, FL

I find it funny that AFP's music is so dark and yet she was called an optimist on this show. Just another reason why I absolutely adore her.
But I think she is right about it being a good thing for singers and bands to have to try harder. And she certainly lives up to those expectations. I mean Evelyn Evelyn is something new and different from her and it may even top WKAP. There is so much connection there. She touches my soul.

Apr. 13 2010 02:49 AM
Andrea Niceschwander from seattle, wa

I grew up around Los Angeles during the big glam rock period. I remember being so disenfranchised by all these bands who really felt like they were only involved in music for some sort of hope of commercial success. I mean, I write & we all what to make with our art/doing what we LOVE, but all this music was missing just that, love.

I live in Seattle now. There's so much more artistic connection. Street performers. House shows. Artistic community.

These are all the same reasons I love Amanda Palmer. She's a real person. She's not hiding in some dark corner somewhere collecting money and making music when she has to. She's always making music, working on music, putting on shows, just completely giving with her self and her talent. Yeah, I have no problem giving her or Radiohead my money, because they're effing brilliant.

And I'm glad she said it. Be in it for the music and connecting, not the money. I think some changes needed to happen. (& in the film industry as well)

Mar. 15 2010 07:45 PM
andrew j epstein from los angeles

As always I loved your show, (thanks for editing Brook)

I loved the story and interview with Amanda Palmer. As someone who is starting my own book publishing co. (http://www.blurb.com/books/865768), I found her comments about promoting yourself on line just What I needed to hear.

At some point someone said something about Madonna not selling her music directly, which made me laugh.

When Madonna was just starting out, you couldn't walk down St Marks Place in NYC without her in your face selling her tape cassettes. No matter where you went in the east village she would show up with a bag full of tapes of her singing for sale with a boom box blasting out her songs.

Amy Arbus and I made a game of dogging her, M wanted to be in Amy's Village Voice fashion page On The Street .
(http://books.google.com/books?id=x9JmAAAACAAJ&dq=Amy+Arbus&source=an&hl=en&ei=nZmeS638AZOOswPv0IV-&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CBwQ6AEwCA)

Amy did finally shoot her and now She's the cover of Amy's wonderful book. I'm sure I have more then a dozen of her tapes even though I was much more of a fan of Cindi Lauper who was sing in a band Blue Angel, and I do believe I bought her tapes from her at the other end of St Marks Place.

Being stalked by Madonna was a funny memory to relive. Never did like her singing, but I dug the balls she had to promote herself.

Mar. 15 2010 04:39 PM