Al Jazeera Now

Friday, March 26, 2010

Al Jazeera reaches hundreds of millions of homes around the world, in spite of facing fierce opposition by the governments of the Middle East and the United States. Wadah Khanfar, Director General of Al Jazeera, explains how the organization continues to expand, and how their mission continues to evolve.

Jerry from Austin, Texas

On the Media and Al-Jazeera are two of my favorite sources of information.

I thought Mr. Khanfar did an admirable job of responding to an often hostile interviewer.

I think Gladstone probably owes Khanfar an apology. Or maybe not: she sure did make him look good.

Apr. 02 2010 06:24 PM
William J. Rosenfeld from Roxbury, CT USA

Al Jazeera (English) is available 24/7 on your computer through the web site Livestation.com and on your iPhone app. (Al Jazeera)

Apr. 01 2010 03:26 PM
Gabriel from Tijuana, Mexico

Wow! Powerful piece. I just started listening to the podcast and had enjoyed it, but this has been the segment that has impacted me the most. I so want to believe that Khanfar is on the level. I so want to believe that there is a global broadcasting network that is actually doing journalism.

Brooke definitely had an accusatory tone to her, but I think in the end, it made for a stronger piece. In my head, I had Brooke being the voice of a skeptic and weary American, afraid of the big, bad Muslim propaganda machine that is Al-Jazeera. She made some tough questions that I think a lot of people would ask. I know I had some of those doubts that she did. I'm glad that she took such a stance to get some strong responses out of Khanfar.

And did Khanfar come out of this magnificently. Despite the accusations (which I'm sure he's heard before), he answered politely, intelligently, calmly, measured, but in a very assertive manner. He was confident in what he was saying and his beliefs came across powerfully. The impression I had of Al-Jazeera has definitely changed from this interview.

Like I mentioned before, I just hope that this is all true and not just false advertising like some other networks. I'll definitely be looking for Al-Jazeera on the web.

Mar. 31 2010 04:06 AM
jason from San Francisco

I first saw Al Jazeera English news in Thailand. I was watching BBC with some Austrians and they suggested we switch to Al Jazeera, and they claimed it was balanced source of news, in English. At first I assumed it would be some firebrand stuff, but I was surprised at their professional and seemingly broad view of global affairs. When this On The Media piece started, I was shocked that it quickly gained an accusatory tone about how Al Jazeera ruined the peace process.

I agree with the comments of Karen and Louise (above) in that it seemed like Gladstone lacked any objectivity. Her bias against them was so strong it almost sounded like some angry Neo-con was interrogating Mr. Khanfar. This was a really sorry interview on a subject that should have been so much more than the reporters personal bias about the Israel/Palestinian conflict. If you want to see for yourself, look up Al Jazeera English online...

Mar. 30 2010 01:24 AM
Ehren from Los Angeles

I was disappointed and surprised at Brook's indignation that a the fourth estate might topple a government through persistent, focused, and balanced news coverage. Would she have put Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein through the same kind of ringer?

Mar. 30 2010 01:12 AM
derek

As recovering journalist I think that Al Jazeera is really doing its job covering the issues from variety of angles that are unavailable from US based media conglomerates or even the hopium driven NPR. I think the fact that AL Jazeera's offices in both Kabul and Baghdad were attacked by US forces claiming "mistakes" gives more credibility to them in the eyes of the world. I also could recommend ..............I never thought I could say this the English version of Russian TV www.rt.com. I highly recommend it to my countrymen as well as visitors that really want to see what is lurking below the surface of our politically correct and sponsor paid for "utopia"

Mar. 29 2010 05:08 PM
karen from San Francisco

Oh yeah-
You can just watch them online from their website-

Mar. 29 2010 04:16 PM
karen from San Francisco

Very happy to to learn about this news organization- knew little/nothing about it-
Their website is really good-so many news stories I didn't know about that I care about-
Brook Gladstone did a horrific interview(agree with Louise above) but at least Brook did the interview-

Mar. 29 2010 04:14 PM
Joseph Tomczyk from Black Mountain, NC (Detroiter retar'd)

Ps: Since having LoL'd last evening at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Loop_(film)
this morn I've queued "Control Room"
on DVD as per MMurphy herein.

Mar. 29 2010 07:47 AM
Joseph Tomczyk from Black Mountain, NC (Detroiter retar'd)

Wadah Khanfar sounds solid.

Mar. 29 2010 07:37 AM
Louise

Brooke Gladstone's voice was almost shaking with anger when she was interviewing the Director of Al Jazeera. So much for fair and balanced, huh? As a result, I have lost all respect for Gladstone as a professional journalist.

Mar. 29 2010 12:03 AM
carol weismann from new jersey

i was hoping the interviewer would ask about funding.

how is Al Jazeera funded? cable subscriptions? donations?

i've heard good things about Al Jazeera English.
i would like my cable provider (comcast) to carry it.

Mar. 28 2010 10:25 PM
Rob from NY

The Tea Parties do not get the same weight or fair treatment and we should not be proud that we are so dismissive of the politics of conservative movements. We have been ill served by our ignorance.

Mar. 28 2010 10:19 PM
Austin Kramer from Seattle

Although you are normally quite balanced and devoted to objectivity, you should reconsider holding Al Jazeera's feet to the fire on the issue of conspiracy theories about the dewath of Yasir Arafat. From an American point of view it's not reasonable, but what if we put it in a different context. If Henry Kissenger came out and said Nixon was involved in the Kennedy assasination, do you think we would report that in America, regardless of it's voracity? You bet. Because it's important to us. The fact that the politics of the Arab world aren't important to most Americans leads us to view reporting on Arab politics through an unfairly critical lens. We should not be proud that we are so dismissive of the politics of the Arab world. We have been ill served by our ignorance. We should not blame Al Jazeera for giving Arab politics on all sides the same weight we give to Tea Parties and Republican Senators.

Mar. 28 2010 09:58 PM
Greg Jenkins from Burlington, VT

Just wanted to let your know that Al Jazeera English is available on our Burlington Telecom cable network. They do a great job, and it is nice to get a different perspective on issues.

Mar. 28 2010 11:01 AM
moop

they actually do great journalism. they cover even what's ugly, what tends to not make the US news outlets.

i loved watching their piece on wikileaks. wonderful stuff.

Mar. 28 2010 10:46 AM
Ana from DC

Wow. I am blown away with the interviewer's leading questions to the Al Jazeera director general. He is doing a great job of calmly and persuasively articulating his company's position, but the radio journalist asking questions is comically out of line -- and clearly not "objective" -- with her accusatory tone of questioning. Why does she not see the irony in her technique? Perhaps because she has her own blind spots.

Mar. 27 2010 04:59 PM
Rob from NY

MM
"Would love to have heard more about how they view the recent U.S. health care reform coverage".

I would love.....just love to hear more about Al Jazeera's coverage of health care in the various Arab "kingdoms," particulary of men, women and children who suffer corporal punishment when they violate Islamic law.

Mar. 27 2010 02:40 PM
Marilyn Murphy from Providence, RI

Really appreciated your interview with Wadah Khanfar of Al Jazeera. Thanks! Seeing the film Control Room several years ago really opened my eyes. It would be wonderful if you could have an ongoing dialogue with Al Jazeera and, in addition to questions for them regarding their news coverage, they could give us their perspective on ours. Would love to have heard more about how they view the recent U.S. health care reform coverage.

Mar. 27 2010 02:23 PM
Rob from NY

Pathetic.
Government-founded and financed NPR in a patty cake interview with monarchy-founded and financied
Al Jazeera. Both work at the pleasure of their respective "kings" and play "my suger daddy is better than yours". Except NPR regularly bites the hand of the US tax payer that feeds it.
BTW...if the West did not "muck about" in the Middle-East, there would be no Al Jazeera because there would be no western media model to base a "fair" media network on, not to mention no oil money and no phoney Arab royal family to provide the seed money of this "independant" network.

Mar. 27 2010 02:16 PM
Lucia Mudd from Cambridge, MA

I can't reccomend Al Jazeera English enough. We get it on line. It is head and shoulders above any American news broadcast. Bar none. We don't see Al Jazeera in Arabic and so can not comment on it's quality. But I wish the English version got more exposure!

Mar. 27 2010 01:50 PM