Hot off the Presses: OTM's New Jingle

Friday, July 16, 2010

You all know the jingle "Present and Future Business Models for Monetizing the Newspaper Industry." Listen along with Brooke and Bob to the new candidates.

Music Playlist
  • The Penguin
    Artist: by Raymond Scott

Laura Bien from Ypsilanti, MI

GRACIOUS TO GOODNESS, what a lot of humorless sourpusses! Did it occur to any listener that in a show about media--a meta-media show as it were, the conventions on OTM for regular jingles also might be a tad meta? OBVIOUSLY those words are not jingle-friendly--that is why it is funny! I love this segment and the rebroadcast and the "People's Temple" and "Dramatic" versions particularly. But overall, people, land sakes, you sound like a bunch of grumps! Lighten up!

Jan. 30 2011 08:26 PM
Frank from Richmond, VA

I just listened to the rebroadcast of this episode live on NPR and thought it was a joke. Your jingle is so, so bad and the new candidates offer very little in the way of improvement. Why didn't someone realize in the first place there is no way to put the words "Present and Future Business Models for Monetizing the Newspaper Industry" to music in any effective way that would be considered an effective jingle? The problem is with the text. Cut it down to something like "Alternative Models for the changing Newspapers Business" and you might have a better chance.

Jan. 30 2011 07:24 PM
wiccit from Austin, TX

why didn't someone ask me to write it? You'd never have another complaint, i mean i'll write it if you'd like

Oct. 13 2010 07:03 PM
Radio Ads from http://www.pushbuttonproductions.com

I also like tho old version and i am sure there are lots of people who still like old jingles more than new one.

Aug. 20 2010 02:09 AM
Steve Marcus from Philadelphia, PA

Keep the old jingle.

Unlike all the new jingles, the old jingle actually sounds like a jingle. It has a retro and sarcastic feel which fits both the subject matter and the show.

By the way, the sound level of the music in the recordings of all the new jingles blocks out the lyrics. This is not true of the old jingle. The words are nice and clear.

Jul. 25 2010 09:43 PM
ahsilver from MN

I like the old jingle way better than any of the new ones. Please keep the old one.

If you're looking for a musical change, then change your theme music. It hurts the ears.

Jul. 21 2010 12:37 PM
Matt Goolsby from Southampton, UK

Is there not any way a fellow who's avoiding facebook can vote?

I like the old jingle the best, but if I had to choose one of the new jingles, I like the last one, the "dramatic and existential" one, the one that was inspired by the Magnetic Fields (listen to the song Parades Go By, I dare you!).

Thanks for your show!

Jul. 21 2010 09:52 AM
Barb from Milwaukee

I liked the last one:
Present and Future Business Models for Monetizing the Newspaper Industry.
Was that it?

Keep up the good work!

Jul. 20 2010 10:19 PM
Francisco from Newcastle upon Tyne, UK

Why are you sending us to a site that open flouts privacy laws in multiple juristictions (e.g. Canada and the EU)?

I agree with Dianne that you should consider not having one but, if you are to have one, the last one is my favourite.

Jul. 20 2010 03:17 AM
suella pipal from PA

The hip-hoppish one is by far the best

Jul. 19 2010 04:59 PM
Michael from Los Angeles, CA

Please keep the current jingle. The new ones, while interesting, don't hold a candle to the upbeat yet somehow sardonic laments of the original.

Jul. 19 2010 01:01 AM
Charles from by the radio

Jingles are out of place on a serious program. All of those proposed as well as the current one take up time better devoted to analysis and discussion. If I want to listen to junk music I can find it elsewhere on the web.

PS Could Brooke possibly do her editing without the weekly obeisance to her sacred name?

Jul. 18 2010 10:25 PM
Charles from by the radio

Jingles of any kind are a blot on this usually serious discussion of usually serious matters. Please do without them entirely.

PS Could Brooke perhaps do her editing without the embarrassingly sycophantic obeisance to her name?

Jul. 18 2010 10:02 PM
The Walters from San Diego

We enjoy your program but do not appreciate the referral to Facebook - We do not subscribe to Facebook. We do think all the jingles you propose are no better than the current one.

Jul. 18 2010 09:07 PM
Gary from Kalamazoo, MI

Q: Could the new candidates be ~worse~ than the old one? A: No, but someone deserves credit for ~trying~!

This jingle is the ~worst~ bit of music on NPR. (Although, the Weekend Edition "sports" theme with the bangy-boomy fake marching band sound always makes me throw up just a little in my mouth.) I turn your show off instantly whenever CAFBMFMTNI begins. It's that bad. Besides, that awful noise is a guarantee that the next ten minutes of the show will be an utterly meaningless rehash of exactly the same bit from the previous month, and so forth.

What's the freakin' problem? Do you really not know ~any~ musicians?

Jul. 18 2010 08:10 PM
jane

They're all awful, and the lyrics are beyond odd--they are anti-poetic, written without any sense of the rhythm or rhyme after the opening words (which don't add any meaning, by the way). Dump the whole project!

Jul. 18 2010 07:17 PM
Dianne

Nice that you discriminate against people who don't use Facebook. As for the jingles...well, keep your day jobs. Ever consider just skipping the jingle altogether?

Jul. 18 2010 05:50 PM

Hey, I never had anyone get into the middle of one of my rants before. That's funny.

Jul. 18 2010 05:18 PM

A group I established in memory of a woman I believed to be dead (one is, one isn't), was eliminated by complaints by the living woman despite the fact that I acknowledged only knowing little of "them", wrote little about "her" other than how rumors about her inspired me, and mostly used it as a platform for my own autobiographic stories, which are my current form of journalism. I will probably revive it, without reference to the offensive woman, eventually.

Recall, followers of your page, here, that I actually grappled with "monitizing" a newspaper for Connecticut elders back in the '80s and failed miserably, so it really does stab me when I hear your jingle.

Jul. 18 2010 05:16 PM
DoktorZoom from Boise ID

I like the current jingle; I should add that my 13 year old son also thinks it's a hoot. I have warned him he should avoid singing it at school, lest he be marked as a nerd.

OK, *more* of a nerd.

Jul. 18 2010 05:08 PM

O.K. I don't want to bother getting my audio set up on my computer (poor old, mostly broken headphones my dad left me), so I won't re-listen to the web address Brooke gave. Your FB page (which I fell back to) doesn't allow comments and has nothing about the uniformly terrible jingles, anyhow.

The old jingle is serviceable, if a bit overlong. I like it.

Having just seen (and heard) a segment on Book TV about David Kirkpatrick's book by Kirkpatrick, my interest and fascination with FB is re-inspired and I wonder; does my "liking" your page more easily give you access to my FB page? Not really, since the moment you got on FB, it gave you complete access to my info, which I resolutely refuse to limit. (That will, no doubt, eventually cause me grief - especially with relatives with minor children, even if there is nothing even remotely obscene there.)

Anyway, this segment gave me an excuse to get into "The Facebook Effect", some of which I have felt.

Jul. 18 2010 05:06 PM
e.b.

The lyrics are what need fixing. Someone has used many words to ask "How do you pay for that?". So, just say *that* and stick it in where needed/useful. Music not required.
p.s. I wonder what's up with everybody and their six brothers saying 'to comment, go to our FaceBook page...' ; there are many people who won't touch the FacieSpaces with a ten foot pole ...

Jul. 18 2010 04:07 PM
Alison from Newton, MA

I like the music that you ended this segment with -- the clarinet-based music. Other than that -- I have to agree with the other commentators: Who knew that there was a jingle and who needs it??

I love the show. You can hold the jingles, though.

Jul. 18 2010 03:09 PM
Peter Harrer from Midwest

Keep the old jingle! Don't fix what ain't broke.

Jul. 18 2010 11:25 AM
Micah Beck from Knoxville, TN

All the new jingles are even worse than the old one.

Why not go the ATC route and invite musicians/listeners to do new arrangements the current melody? Voting online is so 20th Century. What could be more new media chic than collaborative authoring?

That way you get the kitsch without the repetitious boredom, and you get to claim that your melody is a ubiquitous cultural icon. A meme, as it were!

Reach new media nirvana, you will.

Jul. 18 2010 11:13 AM
Paul Pangrazzi from Brooklyn

The new jingle candidates don't improve on the current one.

The "lyrics" aren't necessary; separate the music and the tagline (which comes off as a baffling joke with the music.)

Consider having the hosts speak the tagline normally, which is a common NPR theme, and focus on choosing a proper musical theme in varying lengths for your shows intermissions.

Jul. 18 2010 11:09 AM
Will Norman from Los Angeles

I didn't realize that you had a jingle before. The ones that are now our options.... I find annoying. Why do you have to change your jingle, anyway? I love your current closing jazz theme, though.

Jul. 18 2010 12:18 AM
Howard Maurer from Buenos Aires, Argentina

Please keep the current jingle, which has a nice retro-radio feeling. The others are far worse.

Jul. 17 2010 05:38 PM
Cindy from Alexandria, VA, USA

You have a jingle?!

Love the show and never event noticed - at least, not those words! I thought this segment was some sort of joke.

If it's not, my thought is that the very the wording of the... jingle?... simply does not lend itself to a "jingle"!

Jul. 17 2010 05:00 PM
Sherry from Norwich, CT, USA

Ugh. They are ALL horrid.
I think you guys need to go Bluegrass.
Something w/ a banjo.

Jul. 17 2010 04:05 PM
alex from Brooklyn

No. Just no.

The basic question is "Why?" What is to be gained by updating the jingle? Of course, that prompts the question of "Why have this jingle, in the first place?"

I think that it's clear that the purpose is to mark this theme as one that pops up again and again. That the theme itself is not new. That, perhaps, the answers themselves are not new, either. It's a form of snark -- at which OTM excels. Heck, the idea of a jingle is, itself, quite old school, like newspapers.

If THAT is the purpose, than changing the jingle undermines it's very purpose.

If that is NOT the purpose, why not let us know what the purpose of the jingle actually is? Tell us the purpose and we'll have a better chance of picking out an appropriate one. But if you guys are unsure or divided on the purpose of the jingle, maybe you should address that.

And you certainly should figure out WHETHER the jingle needs or ought to be changed.

(Love the show. Love the snark. Hate the candidate jingles.)

Jul. 17 2010 01:27 PM
Rolf Olsen from Lebanon, NH

I've just had an epiphany: there is a problem with the lyrics. The debate isn't about finding future business models for the newspaper industry. In fact it's really about monetizing 'journalism' and its distribution. I define journalism, briefly, as authoritative, comprehensive, clear and objective information that our world and its cultures require to function effectively. Blogs just aren't enough, in my not-so-humble opinion because they are mostly the not-so-humble opinions of others and not journalism. I could go on, but you get the point. Newspapers clearly won't survive in their current form. What will follow and how will we get from where we are now to that new and, most likely, ever-evolving space? And how will those involved in the gathering and delivery be fairly and appropriately compensated?

Jul. 17 2010 09:59 AM
chascates from Austin, Tx

Just keep the old jingle; the new ones are way worse.

Jul. 17 2010 12:15 AM