Forever For Sale

Friday, August 20, 2010

It's called "A Tool to Deceive and Slaughter." It is a black eight-inch cube, made from acrylic, with a computer inside. You can buy it at auction on eBay, though doing so comes with a catch. Artist Caleb Larsen explains.

Music Playlist
  • Story of the Ink
    Artist: by David Holmes

Matt W. from Arlington, VA

I agree with Lee above that part of this artwork highlights the negative affects of the internet on creativity. On the other hand, the contract associated with owning the art seems to me to be a big part of the commentary on monetizing the work that people use on the internet to do.

Who else is looking to monetize the internet?

Great story, even though I think commentary on the nature of contracts, auctions, creativity and intellectual property in our society would make this art even more relevant to our shared experience.

Aug. 28 2010 08:07 AM

Art for art's sake!

As I keep saying, everything I do is in the public domain. That's my "concept". (Well, except for that beer incident.)

Aug. 23 2010 01:36 AM
scott h from south america

I must agree with the previous comment, that this is nothing different from many other gimmicky attempts to make money off an internet phenomenon. It would be much the same if i made an art piece out of documenting the process of begging random individuals to pay off my credit-card debt. I don't knock Caleb for trying, but I think OTM can find more interesting stories.

Aug. 22 2010 08:26 PM
Lee A.

Caleb Larsen demonstrates the overt smug callousness of the self-proclaimed artiste as he pontificates on the "meaning" - but more on the value - of his "art". Let's be real - this is just a half-baked and hare-brained attempt at creating publicity for himself. The use (abuse?) of eBay to further Larsen's quest for fame again just confirms how using the Internet hastens the descent of what passes for art nowadays into the shallowest of creative waters. By even mentioning the work of de Kooning and Rauschenberg he only magnifies the pathetic commerciality of his "artistic" entrepreneurship.

Aug. 22 2010 03:34 PM
Matt W. from Arlington, VA

I love how everyone, even Bob Garfield are so interested in the opportunities for deception in this work of Art.

The contract associated with the ownership of this piece is so explicit and upfront with the purchaser that most of the deception people expect from buying and selling art is removed from the experience of owning this piece.

The process shows the power of private property, contractual agreements, auctions and markets in maintaining personal and professional relationships among people even when rights and responsibilities are assigned absent a specific monetary value.

Aug. 22 2010 02:01 PM
Otto Kerner

He appears to be confused about the investment side of it. This work certainly can be purchased as an investment vehicle, but it's a short-term investment. Most purchasers probably hope to at least come out even after having owned the item.

Aug. 21 2010 03:38 PM