The US Copyright Group's Anti-Downloader Crusade

Friday, December 03, 2010

Since the beginning of this year, the U.S. Copyright Group has filed over 16,000 lawsuits against downloaders in a profit-sharing arrangement with independent movie companies. Bob gives some updates on a conversation we had with Nate Anderson of Ars Technica about the US Copyright Group in June of this year.

Music Playlist
  • Held
    Artist: by Smog

caleb f

stealing anything is wrong. so this isnt just campaign its a movement . any stealing music from these hard working artist is so wrong to me. cause if you work something you want a reward an they been cheated out .

Dec. 10 2010 10:41 AM
Imani Blaize

This idea is great , but I'm not sure how well it's going to be able to be enforced. People will always try to find a loop hole around the rules and find a way to still do what they want to do. I understand the reasoning behind the idea, it's wrong to steal other people's ideas and I wouldn't want it to happen to me. I wouldn't want to work so hard to present something and get it stolen by someone.

Dec. 10 2010 08:04 AM
Bianca Butler

No matter what, someway, somehow, people will find a way to download something illegally. With sites that have music and movies for free, there is no reason to pay for it. It is wrong, but that doesn't mean everyone in society will try to do right.

Dec. 09 2010 08:48 PM
Erin E. from SRHS

People are going to continue illegally download movie and music because why pay for something when its available for free? But this $1500 is definitely a deterrent. Its a little excessive, though. Going to see a movie only cost $10, so what with the 15000% fine?

Dec. 09 2010 08:40 PM
Victoria Caudle

i think this is a great article. stealing is stealing no matter how you use it. people should already know that copying something is illegal. this is wrong because the wrong people become the ones making the money. people that do their work should be the people that get credit.

Dec. 09 2010 09:04 AM
D.Winters

I think this is good ! I agree 100% with this .. stealing is stealing regardless if you are supporting the artist or not , if you want the artist's music -- BUY IT ! Why do people think they can take credit for someone else work or even steal something thats isnt theirs ? Either way , its wrong !

Dec. 08 2010 10:10 PM
Asha B from Raleigh

I think that this could be an effective idea. Stealing is stealing and there is no way around it. I think that people should be punished for taking copyrighted material and gaining access to it illegally.

Dec. 08 2010 05:29 PM
Mike Phillips from Raleigh, NC

I mean i think people shouldn't get in trouble for downloading movies and songs for free because they are still supporting the artist and promoting their music and business . So i feel like they shouldn't get in trouble.

Dec. 08 2010 08:04 AM
Darius Lanier

I feel like people should know that it is illegal. I feel like they should have to pay for people's music, movies, etc. like what maurizo said that it is robing the creators

Dec. 07 2010 08:03 AM
Arianna from Raleigh, NC

I think that this is great! People need to realize that stealing others thoughts/work is not right. You would not want your work to be taken from you without any credit. Definitely not if you had invested time and money into creating a video, song, or movie. Even when I tell a joke, and then someone goes behind me and uses it again without telling people that I made it up, I get offended. I want my credit, lol!

Dec. 06 2010 09:56 PM
Maurizo Lewis

I believe that this campaign is good because when people download movies and songs they rob the creators of being created and paid for their work

Dec. 06 2010 09:37 PM