Our Tenth Anniversary

Friday, January 07, 2011

This week, On the Media - in its current incarnation, turns ten years old. And so a look back, at what a decade hath wrought and at the sweet innocence of youth.

jj from Idaho

Thanks (as always ;-) for making the show available online. It airs locally at 1:00 pm Sundays, and I'm not always able to listen then; I'm grateful for the chance to catch up later in the week.

Jan. 13 2011 03:55 PM
Andrew Sleeth from Raleigh, NC

I've been a long-time follower of the program, and I still haven't figured out why, at the close of each episode, Bob verbally punctuates the editorial credit with that mischievous lilt that suggests he's about to reward Brooke for the dubious honor by dipping her pigtails in the ink well.

Please, Bob, explain it to us. What's up with that, anyway?

Jan. 11 2011 07:38 PM
Joe Wilson from Ithaca, NY

Good content. Thanks and keep it up.

Jan. 11 2011 01:23 PM
chuck thompson from Anchorage

It's hard to imagine OTM is a ripe old pre-teen (as a ten-year-old, can you imagine yourself as a 30-year-old? HA HA!) largely because my local NPR affiliate didn't start carrying the program until -- and I'm totally guessing here -- about halfway through your illustrious history.

Happy anniversary, even though to me you seem much, much younger. How many people are gonna tell you that, now?

Jan. 10 2011 02:57 AM
MrJM from Chicagoland

Congratulations!

Keep up the worthwhile work!

-- MrJM

Jan. 09 2011 07:45 PM
Rob Funk from Columbus, OH

First, congratulations on 10 years! I think I had assumed that the show was older than that, but I guess I've been listening for almost all of those years.

Second, the end of this segment was really weird to me. Not because I was hearing Bush telling jokes when I'd hoped never to hear him again. But rather because of that song.... that song that I heard way too many times when I was a kid and it was new, and even more so over the past three decades.... that song that had become one of those that I just automatically tune out.

That song performed by a one-hit-wonder band called "Katrina and the Waves".

Katrina and the Waves? Oh my. Can you imagine a pop band today calling itself "Katrina and the Waves"? Would their tour include New Orleans, and how would they be received there?

Jan. 09 2011 05:19 PM
Ryan Bollinger from Salt lake City, Utah

Best show on the radio! Congratulations on the 10 years.

Jan. 09 2011 03:03 PM
Jon Erik Larson from Oradell, New Jersey

The first decade of the 21st Century had 87,648 hours (you forgot the two leap years). The second decade will have 87,672 hours.

Jan. 09 2011 11:00 AM
Just a Thought

Congratulations and best wishes for continued success and excellence with the program. It always makes for compelling listening.

Jan. 08 2011 01:35 PM
Whit Whitaker from Fleeetwood, NC

Bob, My first memory/awareness of your name and commentary was a piece so long ago I'm not sure it was on OTM. You told us as to how you were stuck at the beach with your family for a week of rain. Your sanity was saved only by your discovery of 'The Weather Channel.' Do you still hold the position that it was saved?

Jan. 08 2011 12:43 PM
jonny goldstein from pittsburgh, pa, usa

I'm a huge fan. The only time I am bummed out is when it's a repeat and I don't get new fodder for my inquiring mind.

Congrats!

---Jonny

Jan. 08 2011 10:09 AM
James P. Meloche from Michigan

A most timely summary of 10 years of progress. It helps us see the vast changes that affect us. Thanks

Jan. 08 2011 09:47 AM
chascates from Austin, Tx

Communications and journalism has certainly changed over the past 10 years but your show and its analysis is needed more than ever. Thanks not just to Bob and Brooke, but to the people who helped start and/or now work behind the scenes.

Jan. 07 2011 11:51 PM