Comcast Gets the Okay to Buy NBC

Friday, January 21, 2011

Comcast received some good news this week – federal regulators said the company may buy NBC. Comcast, already the largest cable TV provider and the largest internet service provider in the U.S, will now become the first cable provider to own a major broadcast network. Professor Susan Crawford says the deal is bad news for consumers.

Music Playlist
  • The Waves
    Artist: Tamaryn

Dorian Cutts from Yo Grandma's House

I wouldnt necessarily call Comcast a monopoly yet because i live in NC and i belive that you cant get the comcast. sooo there not running every well not yet anyway.

Mar. 11 2011 12:03 PM
Tajai Jones

WoW!!! Can we all say monopoly, because I really think Comcast is all about the money right now. But I think it is really smart because I can see they are about business also because they are seriously buying big television stations and they are doing a great job. But to be honest I don't watch a lot of TV but if the channels are still interesting I'm fine with Comcast...

Feb. 15 2011 08:39 PM
david from raleigh nc

Comcast Gets the Okay to Buy NBC. It is comcast wanting to make more money an make it cost more for comption to get their ads on that cannel.
I personal think that Comcast is trying to make their cable a monopoly. For me this reporters were talking were right comcast is trying to make it hard for comption to their product out. the point that they made about how cable companies have made the phone companies loss buesiness by providing internet service

Jan. 25 2011 01:18 PM
Quentin Hammonds from Raleigh North Carolina

Wow taking NBC because they control certain stations. Well I see that people are doing what every it takes to make their money, first was internet then cable what's next phone service to. How can this help anyone or can it even if certain people say it will. I just hope that other things want change because people are thinking that this or that will help for the future.

Jan. 25 2011 12:48 PM
Dominique Pierce from boardcasting class

i think that comcast gonna start thinking that their going to be able to take all the other stations now that they taking NBC but i just hope that they don't, i don't wanna just watch the comcast staion for the rest of my life

Jan. 25 2011 12:32 PM
sethinthebox from US

This is exactly the situation that Tim Wu describes in his book, "The Master Switch". This story has played out a number of times in the last 150 years in the telephone, radio, television, cable industries. We're screwed...again

Jan. 23 2011 10:08 PM
RuthK from NYC

hmmm... in the face of this Comcast deal, as well as the earlier report on the Patriot Act... can we honestly call ourselves a democracy any longer?

Jan. 23 2011 04:32 PM
aBoilini from Kauai

I worry that MSNBC is buckling under the pressure of the growing power or FOX, Limbaugh and the special interest that support the Republican Party. Someone has to expose the daily lies spewed by the conservative right and I fear that Kieth might be only the first to go, like Bill O'Reilly keeps saying.

Jan. 21 2011 10:25 PM
J. Alexander from Pensacola Beach FL

ARE THESE PEOPLE CRAZY!?!?

Jan. 21 2011 09:22 PM