Inside the Libyan Diaspora's Resistance Movement

Friday, February 25, 2011

Protesters in Libya are calling for the end of Muammar al-Qaddafi's regime - a regime that has kept the country under an information black out for years. That's why some in the Libyan diaspora feel a special responsibility to aid the flow of information in and out of the country. One member of that diaspora is OTM producer Sarah Abdurrahman. Sarah has spent the week, not as a disinterested journalist, but rather, as a part of the movement. She describes how she, along with friends and family, have been trying to bring about change in Libya from laptops in Washington DC.

Music Playlist
  • The Waves
    Artist: Tamaryn

Dion Twayne Watson from Southside

I am so very proud of Sarah Abdurrahman and all the Lbyan American youth who have wasted no time in mobilizing themselves to get information out of Libya and to help shape events on the ground there. Many of Sarah's parents' generation were political refugees themselves from the Qaddafi regime, and those parents have not only raised these adult youth exceedingly well in their diaspora, but they also raised them with an acute awareness of the realities of their homeland. They are informed, well educated, and poised to help shape events in days to come.

Mar. 10 2011 11:48 AM
Travion Mallette

Dear Sarah

What courage, what commitment! A profound Thank You for all your work in connecting with others and with many people in Libya, and for reporting on immediate events in this true revolution so carefully and so clearly. Your parents and your family must be very proud of you, indeed.

I encourage you to continue your efforts, and applaud OTM for supporting you.

Mar. 02 2011 11:44 AM

It is clear that Ms. Abdurrahman's and her friends' work was vital to the revolt in Libya but it would be a mistake to think that the challenges they and Libya face will be easily surmounted. I can't help fear that Qaddafi has secreted at least one nuclear device from Mr. ElBaradei, a backpack tactical one with which to make his exit from Libya, in general, and Tripoli, in particular, into a horrific spectacle!

He may have lost his Eva Braun but Hitler's suicide is far too quiet a model for his own.

Mar. 01 2011 11:59 PM
JaneTenenbaum from Boston

I heard you NPR, talking about your parents' generation and your generation's commitment to the same cause... very moving... Keep up the amazing reporting.

Mar. 01 2011 09:40 PM
Cathy Graham from Mt Berry, GA

This was a very powerful and moving discussion. I cried along with Sarah. Her father and his friends are heroes and will always be remembered in the history of their country.

Cathy

Mar. 01 2011 04:03 PM
Hazel Singer from Seattle

Thank you on behalf of all children everywhere whose parents have struggled mightily against tyranny. My parents lived to see the defeat of apartheid in South Africa: it was a powerful and empowering moment. My thoughts ae with your family and friends.

Feb. 27 2011 10:20 PM
Elizabeth Rothman from Seattle WA, USA

What a powerful story! I so appreciate your willingness to open up for us, and Bob's too. Very moving and inspiring. I wish I could share it somehow with my Deaf friends- something I often feel listening to excellent public radio programs. Are transcripts available? No comparison, wish we had a visual so I could interpret it...

The children of the Libyan diaspora involved in this effort to keep the pipeline open are doing honor to their forebears and their nation.

Feb. 27 2011 10:07 PM
Jim Jarosz from seattle

Wow. An amazing interview and I am so proud of the work you are doing. I have two grown children but I don't know what war is, only resisting it from a safe place. Your passion for carrying out your parents work is palatable.

Thank you so much.

Jim
Seattle

Feb. 27 2011 09:30 PM
Grammary from California

Dear Sarah
I encourage you to continue your efforts, and applaud OTM for supporting you.

Feb. 27 2011 08:18 PM
Bisola

Sarah, as far as I’m concerned you are on the side of Angels. The revolution will be broadcast. Thank you!

Feb. 27 2011 04:59 PM
Jody Price from Massachusetts

What a powerful story on so many levels: the power of the media in bringing down tyranny; the commitment of a cross-generational Libyan Diaspora to destroy a ruthless regime; and the profound professionalism of a young journalist, grappling with the essential questions about objectivity, getting the story right, and commitment for media to do what is right. Thank you, Ms, Abdurrahman. I was deeply moved and greatly heartened to hear your young voice in such service to freedom of the press. You give me hope that we are not completely lost to FOX News and CNN. Stay strong. Never give up your ideals, please.

Feb. 26 2011 08:56 PM
Peggy Brennan from Connecticut

Sarah, you do a great service to your parents' generation but also for us. The voices are so moving, I cannot speak. Thank you.

Feb. 26 2011 08:02 PM
Anna from New York City

Sarah you are a capable, beautiful person. Your work is inspiring and I cried with you. Keep up the amazing work your are doing and Libya will be free.

Feb. 26 2011 07:03 PM
jamila naji from lexington, ky

Great job Sarah. You and your friends did your part to free Libya. Your parents are the one who raise you with these values so we as parents are proud to see you doing what you can to help the people in your country and the job you are doing is very well done.

Feb. 26 2011 12:21 PM
Just a Thought

This month is the anniversary of the arrest of Sophie Scholl who was a young German student in Munich who peacefully resisted the Nazi regime. In 1943 the tools of the White Rose were an old printing press and not Twitter but the penalty for demanding liberty in a police state was and is the same.
Libya is filled with brave Sophie Scholls who are displaying unimaginable courage in the face of a vicious tyranny. How do they feel when they see world leaders shake hands with Qaddafi and the U.N. respectfully welcomes him into the Human Rights Council thus making a mockery of the oppression in Libya? If the tyranny in Libya and elsewhere is replaced by more of the same or worse, will the fickle euphoria in the media evaporate as they quietly abandon the modern day Sophie Scholls once again? The lost generations of post revolutionary Cuba and Iran remind us liberty demands vigilance. Thanks

Feb. 26 2011 09:55 AM
Jenny Sutton-Amr from Lexington, KY

Feb. 26 2011 07:28 AM
Abu La7ya from Washington D.C.

they efforts of our parents will never be forgotten. We will be forever great full for their efforts. they set the stage and foundation for us to be able to do the work we are tryin to do. Sarah you did an amazing job!

Feb. 25 2011 10:38 PM
Idris Elhamar from Seattle

Good job Sarah. I am proud of you. Keep up the good work.

Feb. 25 2011 09:52 PM