An Unprecedented Data Breach

Friday, April 29, 2011

Last week, hackers took down Sony's PlayStation Network, and potentially got hold of 77 million users' personal information. Nick Bilton, technology writer for the New York Times' Bits Blog, says this is just the latest and largest in a long spate of unintentional releases of personal data by corporations.

Josh

Brian Chen from Wired is a very poor choice for a technology based interview. For instance he made the claim that the location data was being sent to Apple. This is completely untrue. This was my first podcast and without a redaction on this issue it will likely be my last.

May. 17 2011 12:27 PM
P2T7 from Raleigh, NC

they will appreciate it in the long run rather than biding your time until the last possible minute.

May. 06 2011 11:06 PM
P2T7 from Raleigh, NC

On top of this breach, Sony waited for a week to deliver the news of such events happening, depriving the population of the heads up they needed in order to take a proactive defensive approach to this situation. Although the latest any company or business can tell their customers about their information being revealed to a third party in some states is the most, a week. Sony should have at least told us sooner, the latest is Day 2, especially on such a large scale that is 77 million customers. We believe that this article allowed us to see how unsafe trusting our information with companies can be, and how malicious people – especially hackers – are when they see an opportunity to get a hold of someone's credentials. Also, we see how much responsibility companies take on when they are charged with guarding millions of their user's personal information. All events like these should be reported as soon as possible, and even if it is bad news for the customers,

May. 06 2011 11:05 PM
P2T7 from Raleigh, NC

The Sony Playstation Network was breached by hackers. The event was unforeseen and sudden, leaving Sony – and its customers – baffled as to how this could have happened. This infiltration of information sheds light on how much is at risk for game consumers and it will affect how people think of purchasing things online and putting your information through the internet.
The main concern of the article is that 77 million PSN user's personal information is at stake and could be exposed to others as a byproduct of being hacked. This is a very large number of not just players, but everyday people that have their private information such as credit card numbers and names in jeopardy.

May. 06 2011 11:04 PM
Renita from raleigh

this was a great report ! i learned so much.

May. 06 2011 01:34 PM
P4T3 from raleigh

If I was the Owner of PlayStation I would be scared for my life right now. All of the pressure is on me. I have to respond to a bunch of questions and Im in the cross-hairs of a major lawsuit. On the other hand, If was a PlayStation Network user I would want to be refunded back any money that was lost. I would also hope that PlayStation gets their Network back.
I was surprised that playstation network got hacked into, you would think that they would have better system, but i guess not. I feel bad that people may have to purchase a whole new system, hopefully they can give playstation users some type of discount. All playstation users should listen to this report because it applies to them and their systems.

May. 06 2011 01:31 PM
P4T3 from raleigh

An Unprecedented Data Breach Last week Sony's “PlayStation Network” was hacked and lost personal information from 77 million users. PlayStation Network is an online gaming database which consist of: Names, Addresses, and even Credit card numbers! The Network has been out of commission for about a week now, leaving millions of users in question of they’re physical and financial safety.
Millions of user are really upset with Sony even though it is not their fault. Sony has to deal with these millions of questions to why they can not connect to the PlayStation Network. Even though I don’t own a PlayStation, I can see what they are coming from. I would be upset also if the whole world has my personal password or my credit card information. We need more people such as the White-Hats who are the ones who try and stop all the hackers and keep everyone happy. If we had more of them we wouldn't have any problems with hackers.

May. 06 2011 01:30 PM
CEG

It's sad that everyone's information got out but even sadder that it took playstation a week to tell everyone about it....

May. 06 2011 12:07 PM
Quentin Hammonds

LOL Play station got hacked. Dang now nobody can say that play station is better than Xbox. If somebody can get your personal information through a game system than somethings wrong. And if the network waits a week to tell you that your information was hacked than those people are either retarded or just wasn't that aware of what was happening. If somebody hacked my information than I want to know by that night so I can find out who it is myself and try to take or find out their shit just like they did mine.

May. 04 2011 01:10 PM
J'qaun Freeman from raleigh

I personally beleive that it was very childish that this person did this. Whoever did it messed it up for many user who used the PlayStation Network. This also puts pressure on Sony because they have to deal with millions of people problems and also face maybe being sued.

May. 03 2011 02:22 PM
David Onyiego from raleigh

I think what happend was unexcusable due to the fact that it is a multi million or billion dollar company that should have had a better back-up plan and have treated this problem much more professionally.

May. 03 2011 02:16 PM
Connor from Raleigh

I think companies like Sony should be held completly responsible if thei customers personal information gets hacked. Companies that are the size of Sony should be able to afford better protection for their networks and data. I also think that people should be more wary of putting their credit card information especialy since you can use gift cards and pre-paid Visas to pay for things.

May. 02 2011 06:50 PM
Vill from Queens, NY

Good day. Mr. Bilton of the New York Times is right, without the consumer protection of the federal and state governments, the American public will continue to be electronically vulnerable in our interconnected society. The race of "catch up" is between the turtles of the law and the courts and the hare of innovative technology.
Without massive fines or better yet suspensions the US market, technological companies, like SONY, will not tell her consumers or the public the next "intrusion" for two weeks or a month because there is no law to make them. Thank you.

May. 01 2011 05:33 PM