The Case Against Google

Friday, August 12, 2011

At the end of June, federal regulators launched an antitrust probe into Google’s business practices after rivals complained that Google was abusing its market dominance by favoring its own search products over those of other companies. Bob spoke with Danny Sullivan about how this inquiry might affect the search giant and whether or not it’s missing the mark.

Music Playlist
  • The Google Song
    Artist: Sputniko

Jake Kurtz

Google is quickly making a monopoly of just about everything in our lives. In this time we call the "information age" a technology driven society has been conveniently provided with Google. Perhaps too conveniently some think. I don't think that Google is evil, but they are quite clearly up to something more than just conveniently bringing you information. It's hard to say what Google can or will do once it reaches a position of near omnipotence in our society, but quite honestly, the thought scares me.

Oct. 05 2011 11:41 PM

I'm a big fan of the show in general, but was less than impressed with this one. I'm a big user of Google, but this piece (and the whole show) seemed to brush off most of the concerns people have raise. I'm glad Danny's not concerned about these things, but I've come to expect slightly deeper analysis from this show.

Sep. 17 2011 05:47 PM
Dynasty Winters

Google is known to be a primary predator in the business industry. Therefore they hold much power. And like any other company Google has to make money, and they will advertise and do whatever they can to make money -- its a business.

Aug. 24 2011 08:03 AM

As usual, you're a day late and a dollar short reporting about Google but how it deals with this issue now does reflect on how it may treat other phone makers using the Android operating system.

Aug. 18 2011 10:39 PM
Arianna Allen from Raleigh, NC

I think that it is silly for them to complain about this. Google still has to make money, so why would they not advertise their own websites/suggestions/companies. I do not think in any way that Google stole suggestions from other companies, that is just very silly to me.

Aug. 18 2011 01:05 PM
Franklin from Raleigh,NC

I don't think that google strong armed anyone. nor do i think that they stole information. People can go to any search engine as easy as they can go to google.

Aug. 18 2011 08:06 AM

Microsoft seems to think "privacy issues" are a Google weakness: http://youtu.be/OrkAuwaoFGg

-- MrJM

Aug. 15 2011 04:39 PM
MrJM from https://twitter.com/misterjayem

Gadzooks!

Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 Billion

"Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies." — Larry Page http://goo.gl/Qv6vu

-- MrJM

Aug. 15 2011 11:16 AM
Robert Ashley from Athens, GA

@Chris: The opening track is I Come to Shanghai Eternal Life Vol. 1. You can get it here: www.icometoshanghai.com

Full disclosure (On the Media!): It's my band.

Aug. 14 2011 11:34 PM
Jasmine Plummer from Raleigh, NC

Translation: Other companies are jealous of Google success, therefore Google shouldn't favor it's own search products because that doesn't give us companies a chance. Google has all rights to favor it's own over the others. Isn't that what companies do anyway? By the way Google is a company.......

Aug. 14 2011 08:49 PM
Chris

Does anyone know the name of the electronic track that opens this program?

I really wish on the media would post the interlude music like most npr programs.

Aug. 14 2011 06:29 PM
SEJ

I really don't think Google "stealed" content from rivals.
Whether they stole content is debatable.

English – the dying language.

Aug. 14 2011 05:20 PM
nailah from potomac

Thank you on the media.Interesting reporting.

Aug. 14 2011 08:55 AM
Antonin Constance from Washington, DC

Note to Google: The road to “evil" is paved with good intentions.

Aug. 14 2011 03:18 AM
Troy Johnson from New York, NY

The problems are so very pervasive. I'm not longer sure if the benefits of Google outweigh the disadvantages. I recently wrote an article about Google's questionable query results: http://aalbc.it/googlebad

Aug. 13 2011 12:43 PM