Books Are No Longer An Ad-Free Zone

Friday, August 19, 2011

You might think it's blasphemy to put advertisements in books, but it's happening. Still, advertising in analog books simply isn't very effective.  Digital advertising, with its ability to personalize ads and track who's buying what, may make placing ads inside e-books more effective than advertising inside traditional books. WOWIO is already putting personalized ads at the start and at the end of e-books. Bob spoke with CEO and Chairman of WOWIO Brian Altounian.

Song: For The Trees

Artist: Matmos

Music Playlist
  • For The Trees
    Artist: Matmos

Davis Onque from New Jersey

It doesn't really phase me to where they put advertisements i mean as long as they are able to put them somewhere then its fine with me.

Aug. 26 2011 08:25 AM
Franklin from Raleigh

Im so use to ads now. I have an smartphone and thats all i see on the apps. ads are apart of the business. Companies have to use apps to get their products seen and heard. So companies will try everything to get an ad anywhere just to get their product across. So im not surprised that their are now starting to put them in books

Aug. 26 2011 08:03 AM
Jquan Freeman

You can Advertise anything technologically, internet, phones, tv, magazines, and books. Now that E-books are here, thats even better better because everyone uses e-books.

Aug. 26 2011 07:58 AM
Dynasty Winters

Advertisements are everywhere, on tv, on your app on your phone, in magazines and in newspapers. Companies try and promote their business in every way that it possible. They do this by putting their advertisements on things that people use the most.... so, in the e-books I can only imagine that they are located in the back of the book.

Aug. 26 2011 07:51 AM
Arianna Allen from Raleigh, NC

I've become so immuned to ads because if you are like me and you have a smart phone, that is really all that you see when you open up your favorite app. I'm actually not surprised to hear that ads are popping up on e-books or nooks because companies have to get their 'shine' and businesses promoted somewhere; but I do think that it is ludicrous for them to be in a book or whatever, but I'm definitely not surprised.

Aug. 25 2011 08:34 PM

Oh, come on! I grew up the son of a consumer research supervisor and a long time field worker for her, a sales manager at the Yale radio station and advertising director for The Elder a newspaper for that client base. I know advertising works on one even when hates it misdirecting one's life (and I do)!

At 14 and a voracious reader, I bought a paperback sci-fi novel and inside the back cover was an ad for an upcoming television show with Capt. Christoper Pike (to be played by Jeff Hunter) leading his intrepid crew on a Star Trek. Took 2 years & a cast change but my wait was rewarded. So, just more old news.

Aug. 25 2011 02:14 PM
Josh from Tallahassee, FL

Well, here's one more reason why I'd much, much, much rather buy an actual book than an eBook. Terrible.

Aug. 23 2011 08:01 PM
Amyleigh L

Brian A.- As a digital marketer, this is very interesting and I completely agree with your comment above. On your site, at least within the past hour, I have not been able to load the pages for more information including: Publishers, Advertisers and About Us. I am interested in more information as a possible tactic for a client.

Aug. 22 2011 03:09 PM

It is already out of control. There is an ad in the NYT Book Review today for a series "Ralph Lauren presents the RL Gang" available as a Nook Book or hardcover edition "The First Ever Shoppable Storybook Series for Children".
Presumably with the Nook edition children can just click and shop the Ralph Lauren catalogue as they read the story about children whose lives are made perfect by their Ralph Lauren clothes.

Aug. 21 2011 11:59 AM
Brian Altounian from Los Angeles

Jodi, I totally understand your comment and concerns. But you are looking at it from the perspective of a current advertising paradigm, which is in the process of a major metamorphosis. If advertisers are trying to reach an audience through meaningful ways (meaningful to the consumer AND the advertiser alike), then it is a win-win proposition and your resistance to advertising is reduced considerably. Target sponsored the complete overhaul of 16 school libraries in New York (http://pressroom.target.com/pr/news/school-library-extreme-makeovers.aspx) and they have expanded that program to 25 schools this year nationwide. It's not advertising as we've come to know it but I guarantee there are Target Store logos in those libraries that are now frequented by 1000's of students.

If the end game benefits society and our public sector cannot provide it, we have to turn to the private sector to support. They support with brand awareness, "tribe building", sponsorship, and, yes, advertising. You can ignore the ad if you want, like banner ads online and billboards offline, but if DirecTV provides access to free ebooks in your area of interest, you will remember their brand for quite a long time and THAT'S what they are hoping for - to create a brand awareness within their target audience. And you will be reading! At the end of the day, that is MY goal: access to a broad selection of ebooks at a reduced price or free. I want my children to be voracious readers (and they are!) I hope that is the benefit the rest of the world sees in what WOWIO is about.

Aug. 20 2011 11:00 AM
Jodi

Terrible! Is there anywhere I can go in this world without being advertised to? I'll stick with my paper books. Let Brian Althounian know that if I am searching around the internet and an ad comes up, I totally ignore it. I have never looked at a web ad, and I have never been enticed to click on one. If they get in my face, I close them without considering them. Am I the only person who ignores them? Do they really work? I can't believe it.

Aug. 19 2011 11:44 PM