Connecting Through a Revolution

Friday, August 24, 2012

One year ago this week, Libyan rebels took control of the capital city Tripoli, ending the 42-year rule of Muammar al-Qaddafi. When the Libyan uprising began in February of 2011, OTM producer Sarah Abdurrahman told us about Feb17voices, a project she was involved in to get information out of Libya during a media blackout. Last month, Sarah went to Tripoli to witness Libya's election and to meet the people behind the voices.

The song from this segment has no English title.  Here it is in Arabic:

تعلى في العالي

Guests:

Ahmed Addarrat, Hisham Buhagiar, Mariam Eddeb, Naeem Gheriany and Rahma Gibani

Produced by:

Sarah Abdurrahman

Georges Boulanger from Montréal

Of course I meant the daughter of a cabinet minister in the new LIBYAN regime.

Aug. 30 2012 12:24 AM
Georges Boulanger from Montréal

Excuse me? Did I really just listen to a story by THE DAUGHTER OF A CABINET MINISTER in the new Syrian regime, presented until the very last minute of the report as a mere "OTM producer", claiming to be documenting the voices of "people in Libya" and the atrocities of the former regime during the spring uprising, one of which "contacts" just happen to include the fluently english-speaking voice of a dissident who reveals himself to be-O.M.G.-the producer's long lost cousin!?

And did On the Media really just air this story literally minutes after another one in which it went after al-Arabiya for not properly investigating the background and agenda of it's rebel sources in Syria?

(Oh, and just so you know, to paraphrase someone I used to trust: finding fault with a pro-rebel slant at OTM does not equal defending the Qaddafi regime.)

Aug. 29 2012 11:38 PM
Will Caxton

The first time I heard this, the story of the shooting seemed implausible. On the second hearing, I realized the victim said that he had been shot with a shotgun, meaning the 11 "bullets" in his leg were actually shotgun pellets. This makes sense. To Ms Abdurrahman: there's a big difference between the two. Note for future.

Aug. 29 2012 10:48 PM
Josh Levine

I'm not sure exactly what I just heard -- but is sure was good!

THANK YOU WNYC and brave Libyans.

I am also proud and reflective at whatever clarity and fortitude was transmitted to these Libyan-Americans simply by their having lived on this soil.

Whatever comes next --for sure it will be The Will of The People and a measure of their commitment to living fully. Just as in America.

Aug. 28 2012 02:18 PM
Claudia "Miriam" Reed from El Sobrante, CA

Please post a photo of the wedding!

Aug. 27 2012 02:58 AM
PatF from Tacoma, WA

Brian (above) is right. Don't know how this matches with dispassionate airing of all sides -- but it was great to hear the ending! With all the media focus on the confused conclusion of Egypt's revolution, Libya seems to have been forgotten except for occasional information about Saif's pending trial. I didn't know the National Transitional Council (NTC) gave power to the newly elected assembly this month. Three cheers for the Libyans -- and i hope they manage to avoid future dictators.

Aug. 26 2012 10:07 PM
Brian

Wow! One segment before you condemn partial coverage of revolution. Then, the next segment is a puff piece about your own employee acting as an advocate for and a member of a revolution...

Aug. 26 2012 03:54 PM
polly reynolds

a wonderful story wonderfully told.

the very best of luck to you

Aug. 26 2012 03:11 PM
Hisham Buhagiar from Tripoli

Good job Sarah, I was really nice to work with you and finally to see you in Libya. Keep up the good work and god bless you.

Aug. 26 2012 12:49 AM
Jon Yoder from DC

I really enjoyed this piece. The presence of relationships, marriages, father/daughter, makes it really good and living. This piece does justice to the people by sharing the relationships that have come out of the Libyan Revolution. You really see that the Revolution was for Life, for humanity, not just economic or political gain or power competition. I heard this show from 6 to 7 this morning (Saturday) and it's now 7:30 and I've written my mother about it and included the link. Thanks for a really great, human show.

Aug. 25 2012 07:29 AM