"My Stolen Face"

Friday, November 30, 2012

In the summer of 2009, Neda Agha-Soltan became the face of the Iranian Green Revolution after her tragic death by gunshot was caught on cell phone camera and uploaded online for the whole world to see. The international media rushed to put a face to the victim--but the face they used was that of another Iranian woman by the name of Neda Soltani, who was still very much alive. Brooke speaks to Neda Soltani, author of My Stolen Face: The Story of a Dramatic Mistake.

Ballake Sissoko & Vincent Segal- Oscarine

Guests:

Neda Soltani

Hosted by:

Brooke Gladstone

mohammad from Iran

I'm an Iranian boy .Gosh.... I can't believe this story. Much to my regret, I can't buy the book cuz I'm in Iran.

Jan. 31 2013 05:34 PM
Robert from New York City

Note to Michael ... OTM did not break the story. As the summary above tells us, Neda Soltani has written a book about her experience.

Dec. 04 2012 09:58 PM
michael hammerschlag from Europe

Wow. Superb story, esp. if you actually broke this. What an indictment of the mindless soulless juggernaut the media can be. Disgraceful, BUT considering the nature of the despicable murderous mullahs and their vested interest in corrupting and denying this story... somewhat understandable. Hope this woman can overcome the "Jacobs Ladder" rumors of her death. Here's a suggestion: a joint foundation by the major guilty press outlets that perpetuated this terrible mistake to fork over $200-500K to poor Neda2. Before she sues them for $5 million for almost destroying her life.
MH

Dec. 02 2012 06:29 PM
Dan Kibler from Danville, CA

Great story. Did you try to followup with CNN, Fox, etc? I would like to hear what the producers had to say for themselves.

Dec. 02 2012 03:49 PM
Austin Haeberle

It was fascinating to hear the report about less-than-careful media reporting in the social media age (like the CNN fail) compares with such a thoughtful, well-prepared interview. Brooke Gladstone's interview was a fine example of exceptional producing & interviewing: timeless subject matter, a compelling interviewee and how an interviewer, with such few words, could illicit such powerful thoughts about who we are as producers and consumers of media. You made it sound so easy -- thank you.

Dec. 02 2012 10:52 AM
Ranjan Roy

Honestly, one of the most moving interviews I've ever listened to. I'm amazed Brooke was able to not break down sobbing by the end.

Dec. 02 2012 12:32 AM
Cami from Orlando

Excellent story Brooke! I was wondering your thoughts on the drone videographer that spoke at Mashable yesterday... and how the "un checked" sources contributes to mistaken identity. Seems like drone video reporting is a slippery slope.

Dec. 01 2012 08:27 AM
Robert from New York City

Extraordinary story. Terrific interview. But who wrote that lead-in? She was "killed after being shot"????????????? Certainly she died after being shot. Certainly she was shot dead. But you make it sound as if the shooting and her killing were two separate acts. How incredibly sloppy!!

Dec. 01 2012 08:17 AM