Brooke Talks To Cyndi Lauper

Friday, May 03, 2013

For more than 30 years Cyndi Lauper has been a creative force, as a singer, songwriter, author and now composer of the music and lyrics for a hit Broadway play. Last month Brooke talked to Cyndi Lauper before a live audience in NYC about her life, her art and where she draws her inspiration.

Watch Brooke's entire hour-long conversation with Cyndi Lauper below.

Cyndi Lauper - She Bop

Guests:

Cyndi Lauper

Hosted by:

Brooke Gladstone

Jon Cudo from CLE

Great interview, thanks OTM.

Love this:
"When you're creating, it feels bigger than yourself It's better to be involved with things that are bigger than yourself sometimes."
-Cyndi Lauper

May. 15 2013 11:59 AM
??

Dave

you must be too young to get it that Cyndi Lauper is an unwitting icon and contributor - not a mere "celebrity."

May. 11 2013 01:27 PM
Dave

I agree with Tracy - a decent interview but not why I listen to OTM.
What media stories were cut so that Brooke could do a celebrity interview (while Lauper did an interview to promote her play).

May. 07 2013 03:17 PM
Terry McKenna from Dover NJ

Loved this interview. I enjoys Girls Just Wanna Have Fun when it came out, but to be frank, don't pay all the much attention to current day music, so it was an eye opener to find out that someone who I thought of as just a girl singer (great singer) was a real fighter.

May. 07 2013 08:12 AM
anonyme

@Tracy

I think Cyndi Lauper has made enough of an impact on our life and times to rate many interviews by journalists - whose job it is to write about their subjects) 30 years enough for you? Who is going to remember Brooke decades from now? And who will remember or discover Cyndi?

May. 06 2013 09:40 AM
Ken in GA from Ga

Great interview Brooke & Cyndi!! loved the clip with Cyndi & Patti from the 80's. here's the link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLaVjMCMLI&feature=relmfu

May. 05 2013 11:59 PM
Tom Luhnow

Brooke: Kinky Boots wasn't created for TRANSVESTITES. They wouldn't need them! They were for DRAG QUEENS, who needed stronger footwear that would hold up during their performances. However, LOVED the interview with Cyndi and all the work you do week after week. Your story today about the Supreme Court decision regarding states being able to withhold information was amazing. THANK YOU for all you do!!!

May. 05 2013 08:50 PM
Alice from nyc

How can i find that amazing duet with Aretha?

May. 05 2013 04:11 PM
Stephanie Braxton from New York

Sitting here listening to this interview and crying tears of joy and laughter. Will be seeing Kinky Boots on Friday. Women power. Yes! Write another musical please

May. 05 2013 03:56 PM
Christian Monette from RI

Wow! I woke up this morning feeling totally defeated, but then my clock-radio went off, and I got to hear the shortened version of this interview. What an empowering conversation it was!

Brooke and Cyndi -- thank you both!

May. 05 2013 08:58 AM
Tracy

This is a great interview that was indeed interesting.

The only question that remains in my mind is, What does this have to do with Journalism?

Maybe it would have been better on This American Life.

May. 05 2013 01:10 AM
Maureen Elia from MA

Everything that she said rang so true. She speaks of justice and fun!

May. 04 2013 10:16 PM
Chris Boese from Brooklyn

OMG, Brooke, I did not pause, but RAN immediately here to the site to watch/listen to the entire Cyndi Lauper interview.

You girls just had too much fun! (and yes, that song came out in my college years... the anthem of my undergraduate rugby team).

May. 04 2013 06:57 PM
Jan from Maryland

Where is the full interview? I can't find the link
Thanks for a great show

May. 04 2013 12:36 PM
Katy Rogers from NYC

Here's the link to the video

May. 04 2013 12:36 PM
Mike Lasky from Washington, DC

Is the full interview, maybe video, available? I don't see a link for it,

Thanks

Mike

May. 04 2013 08:34 AM
mary ellen hluska from Maryland

Brooke and Cindy Lauper, two of my favorite strong women! Thank you for this interview! War paint indeed, women still need to work hard everyday to avoid being placed in stereo typed roles. I wear my war paint daily inspired by you all of these years Cindy! I am anExpressive Arts Therapists working with Adolescents. I try to help them be comfortable in their own skin and find an art that fertilizes their mind. I value your words CIndy Lauper. Uniqueness and individual artistic freedoms should never be placed on a shelf or categorized to the point of the mundane- what is different and fresh and true to who WE are is what matters. Thank you!!

May. 04 2013 07:44 AM