A Writer and His Troll

Friday, May 31, 2013

Journalist Paul Lukas runs a website called Uni Watch, which has a fairly active cadre of commenters, including at least one relentless troll. To his surprise, when Lukas asked the troll for an interview, the troll agreed. Bob talks to Lukas about his six year relationship with his website's most persistent, most creative troll.

Guests:

Paul Lukas

Hosted by:

Bob Garfield

Joe from Seattle

There are entire sites I avoid because so much of their comments section demonstrates the truism so <a href="http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19">succinctly identified by Penny Arcade</a> a decade ago:
And the more "general" the site, or the more widespread its appeal (particularly to under-40 single men), the worse the problem.

Jun. 10 2013 04:13 PM
Bryan from Boston

Bob, your wish (for a voice filter) was so answered in 1999.

Jun. 05 2013 11:16 AM
NotAtroll

Bob, can you please talk to Cat Chow at Code Switch about letting me comment on her terrible articles? She is trolling NPR readers and listeners with her misogynistic and racially exploitative articles on Yellow Fever and Hate.

Jun. 02 2013 09:53 PM
Ed from NYC

Bob asks if the "troll" is a "loser"? What a ridiculous question! How about the journalists/writers (not Coates) but other bloggers who troll for trolls? Are they losers? How many Slate stories have titles begging for trolling? Or the Atlantic Wire and myriad other sites. Many bloggers and their outlets have a vibrancy due to the occasional troll and its resulting back and forth.

Jun. 02 2013 02:46 PM
Barbara Belknap from Juneau, Alaska

Our newspaper, the Juneau Empire, rarely has letters to the editor any more. Before there was an online version, community members wrote letters and people could respond in the newspaper. Once it became possible to respond anonymously, the vitriol flowed. Last year, I was invited to write an online blog and my first concern was being attacked, but I decided that I had plenty to say and it might be fun. It wasn't. While many friends enjoyed the blog and told me so, I spent too much time thinking about and discarding topics because I dreaded the comments section. I could have ignored them, but human nature being what it is, I always had to look. Last month, I did what I said I would not do: I concocted an online name that showed I was a woman and posted comments, but I don't do it very often. It simply does not feel right.

Jun. 02 2013 02:42 PM
Mario500

The coyote from the Road Runner cartoons was cast in the role of a wolf (named Ralph Wolf) in the cartoons Paul Lukas referenced.

Jun. 01 2013 09:07 AM