The Fox News Mole

Friday, June 14, 2013

Last year, an anonymous Fox News employee started writing for the news and gossip website, Gawker. The pen-named Fox Mole was associate producer Joe Muto of the O’Reilly Factor. Bob talks with Muto about his years with the network. Muto has written a book about the experience, An Atheist in the FOXhole: A Liberal's Eight-Year Odyssey Inside the Heart of the Right-Wing Media.

Guests:

Joe Muto

Hosted by:

Bob Garfield

David

Or this one:

Jul. 08 2013 02:21 PM
David

And I'm sure you'll do a story on this, too.

Jul. 03 2013 03:48 PM
Lou from Boston

Bob, I could hear you trying to suppress your giggling while doing this story.

Isn't an interviewer supposed to express some skepticism of those he interviews? So you had a VERY partisan employee who has some VERY partisan opinions of his former employer...doesn't that deserve some probing questions?

He is a FORMER employee...a DISGRUNTLED employee....an employee who DOUBLE-CROSSED his employer....and is now SELLING A BOOK!

Doesn't that deserve a tougher interview than the (tee-hee, yuk-yuk) interview you did and the free promotion you gave this immature young man?

Jun. 18 2013 08:48 PM
Charles

Compare: Bob Garfield welcomes Joe Muto, does a nurturing and promotional interview with him, and wishes him luck (no doubt sincerely) with the new book.

Previously: Brooke Gladstone faces down Bernard Goldberg CBS outsider in an interview which was all about challenging Bernie's then-new book "Bias." Brooke, and Bernie, and the audience would have laughed out loud to hear Brooke wish Bernie good luck with his book or his general endeavor(s).

Again, it is not a matter of sincerity, or concealed motives. I have no doubt but that Bob Garfield finds the notion of a Fox "mole" delightful, and that Brooke Gladstone finds odious the notion of Bernie Goldberg as a network tv news critic.

Because Bob Garfield was correct; he and his public radio colleagues are an "overwhelmingly progressive/liberal crowd."

Jun. 16 2013 09:23 PM
Rogue from Liberty NC

I haven't ever seen "unbiased news. It doesn't matter if it is Fox, MSNBC, CNN,CBS or NPR they all have their own leanings and agenda. Anytime you describe anything you put your opinion in it. That is just human, although Fox and MSNBC are more human than a human. LOL. I listen to news radio through much of the day. I keep changing the stations to get a more complete summary of the news.

Jun. 16 2013 05:09 PM

Even the folks who work at FoxNews call it "stirring up the crazies"?!?

There's a name for folks who make a living off of folks that they don't respect. "Procurer" is the polite form, I think.

Jun. 16 2013 01:47 PM
JR from Pennsylvania

I'm probably the typical NPR listener (vote for Democrats, formally educated, not rich), and yet I'm encouraged that Muto has found a number of actual journalists at FOX News.

In my experience, FOX News does resemble a legitimate news source until about 7 or 8 p.m. every day. Then they start beating the bushes to scare up the crazies in the audience.

Jun. 16 2013 12:57 PM
carlianschwartz from Paterson, NJ

Joe Muto's comments had no surprises for me--except how inept the Fox "commentators" (especially Sarah Palin) are. I long realized that it was more propaganda than fact.

As a good part of my family were snuffed in the Final Solution, and I got a very good education which included fairly extensive studies of the Nazi state, Fox has always appeared to be the GOP Propaganda Ministry. What Muto points out is a group of overblown self-important bloviators (O'Reilly) and just plain incompetents.

Jun. 16 2013 10:53 AM
Marcy from New York

This Joe guy is so immature. He is going to have a tough time in life,
ie going to "work".

Jun. 15 2013 05:13 PM
listener

Sounds like a whole lotta nothing.
Does the cartoonish, overwrought and gothic descriptions "inside the walls at FOX" tell us more about the author than the news outlet that he chose to stay with for eight years in a sea of liberal and progressive media?

Jun. 15 2013 04:58 PM
John A

If atheists want to be anti- anything, please do choose Fox News. I'm lucky enough to remember intelligent republican debate, but it all seemed to disappear by 1996 or so. What's that date? Look up Fox news history.
OTM, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm not crazy for cable largely for the reason Joe describes. And you please keep the stirrer in your apron. WNYC ads want me to be unable to turn off my radio... Bill Gates would like to redesign the PBS NewsHour. Resist.

Jun. 15 2013 12:53 PM
David Tremeer from Gulf Shores, AL

I listened with great interest to this program but didn't hear anything which truly surprised me. However, it would be interesting to have a right-of-center "mole" at MSNBC, for one example. Neither FOX or MSNBC are not news programs: they're more akin to "entertainment" for their ideological minions.

Best regards to All

Jun. 15 2013 11:27 AM
David Tremeer from Gulf Shores, AL

Best regards to All

Jun. 15 2013 11:27 AM
Chris Boese from Brooklyn

Oh wow, such a great show tonight! I loved this segment, and want to run right out and read this book. Neato.

Jun. 14 2013 08:48 PM