I want my slow TV!

Friday, July 12, 2013

The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation has been creating some of the world's slowest TV - shows like a 7 hour train ride or 18 hours of salmon fishing. Norwegian audiences are loving it. Brooke speaks with Rune Moklebust of the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation about why he thinks so-called "boring TV" is actually quite exciting.

Nina Rota - Il Casanova di Federico Fellini

Guests:

Rune Moklebust

Hosted by:

Brooke Gladstone

Mike DeLong from Arlington, VA

Thank you for reminding me Stephen Colbert is still on the air.

Jul. 16 2013 09:43 AM
Bill from West Michigan

The lead line with the Duck Dynasty reference showed a distinct disconnect from an obviously large segment of our society. "Je ne sais quoi" is ironic in that you are in effect admitting that you don't get it. The popularity of the show is indicative of the sense that TV has finally found a normal group of people.

You should know that Honey BooBoo is not the norm out here in flyover land.

Bill

Jul. 15 2013 06:47 AM
Thatwood B. Telling from The Village

Brilliant! I often find myself wishing I weren't American, but I don't believe I've ever before wished I were Norwegian. Any people who can enjoy this kind of broadcast are OK by me.

Jul. 14 2013 10:29 PM
Kjell Wernoe from Bergen,Norway

The 7 day coastal steamer slow TVtrip along the coast of Norway brought memorable improvised
situations like the man standiing on top of a small cliff waiving a banner with the text adressed to his girlfriend whom he knew was onboard the ship:
- dear (her name)! Ii is (his name). I love you!Will you marry me?

Greetings from a Norwegian slow tv entusiast

Jul. 14 2013 05:43 PM
Keira from nyc

Please, let us not forget local New York City TV station WPIX and their burning yule log program, which began airing in 1966, as a possible progenitor of the Wood Show.

Jul. 13 2013 06:36 PM
Chris Boese from Brooklyn

OMG, Brooke, this is just THE most brilliant story ever! Paradigm shifting! Taking Yule Logs to another level entirely!

There is a bit of a correlation in Alaska, in radio, called the "Alaska Bush Pipeline." It's a radio service (largely pre-Internet and pre-cell phones, but there's aren't towers out in many of these remote areas) for folks to communicate with those out in the Bush.

Garrison Keillor used to do a nice little parody of it on Prairie Home Companion, where "Mom and Susie wish Dad a very happy birthday out at the Fish Camp" and "Joe and Helen want to tell Mike and Patti they'll be a week late getting supplies upriver, due to the flooding," etc.

A ferry ride. Pure genius! That and the fishing show would have probably gone over well in Alaska too.

And the Wood Show. Our digital hearth, as a REAL hearth. That's the way it should be. Now, think about showcasing campfire storytelling, a'la summer camp, the Moth Radio Hour, or even (dare we think it?) oral traditions and epics like HOMER.

Wouldn't it be something? Forget serialized long installments of Nicholas Nickleby, or campfire staged readings from Tom Stoppard. A rebirth of a true oral tradition, judged by the Slow TV actual standards of the oral tradition, as tales woven in your mind's eye, by a bard around a real hearth!

Jul. 12 2013 08:52 PM