Their Eyes Were Watching Cats

Friday, September 13, 2013

If you’ve been on the internet lately then you already know this - the internet is not so much a series of tubes, but a series of cats.  Which begs the question: why? Reporter Sarah Lemanczyk investigates.

Stray Cats - Stray Cat Strut

Guests:

Paul Klusman, Jordan Shapiro, Scott Stulen and TJ Wingard

Contributors:

Sarah Lemanczyk

Martha Magee from Here

" I'm a dog person. Can't stand cats. Cats, even when they're livin' with ya, they're essentially wild. They're WILD!

And ya know, if you live with a cat and you die in yerrr house, yer cat will eat ya. Thasss rrrright, HE'LL EAT you !! "

~ Craig Ferguson

Dogs rule!!

Sep. 21 2013 03:57 PM

I am a long time listener who has recently shifted to the Podcast. I have found OTM to be entertaining and informative. Many times I have felt that I learned something from listening to the show. This week, however, I think I am stupider for having listened to the "cat" story. Please. don't ever do that again. I don't have enough neurons left to burn.
Thanks,
JG

Sep. 19 2013 12:09 PM

Sep. 19 2013 12:11 PM
Leonard N. Shapiro from NYC

The story goes that a dog said: my owner feeds me nurtures me, gives me care and love- he must be a God. The cat on the other hand said: my owner feeds me, nurtures me, gives me care and love, I must be a god.

Uncle Lenny

Sep. 18 2013 10:49 AM
ignatz from NYC

I think that, for the most part, dog lovers like watching THEIR dog, whereas cat lovers like watching ANY cat. Dogs are much more normal and understandable than cats. There are just as many dog lovers, but cats are just fun to watch, because they're insane.

Sep. 18 2013 09:46 AM
ignatz from NYC

[One reason people like cats is that they've lost God. ] <------This is actually NOT satire.

Sep. 18 2013 09:43 AM
Jaleh from San Diego

I don't know about cats, I think it's a particular nitch. I personally, when I'm feeling down, will look up dog videos to cheer myself up. But you know, they say there are cat people, and there are dog people...but it is so true, for me at least, cats have always been feminine, and dogs have always been male.

Sep. 17 2013 03:37 AM
Michael from Manhattan

It does not "beg the question." Begging the question is a specific rhetorical term which refers to something like circular reasoning. An example would be "Freedom is essential because it's important for everyone to be able to do whatever they want to do."

Sep. 16 2013 10:36 AM
Ed from Larchmont

One reason people like cats is that they've lost God. I think of James Joyce, the famous man who ran away from God, throwing things at God as he went, who would go to the zoo and watch the lions. We see independence and power there, since we have stopped adoring God, we've lost the balance of things.

But 'Even lions go hungry for lack of food,
but those who obey the Lord lack nothing good.' Psalm 34

Sep. 15 2013 03:59 PM
krtnndrw

It's a particular type of avoiding the question: assuming the truth of the thing you're arguing for as an implicit premise in arguing for it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question)

Sep. 15 2013 12:00 PM
Rebecca Provorse from Portland, OR

I enjoyed this humorous exploration of a repeating cultural phenomenon..

Sep. 14 2013 10:16 PM

Sorry to be pedantic, but you misused the phrase "begs the question." You meant to say, "prompts" or "raises" " the question." "Begs the question" is a debating term that means "avoids the question."

Sep. 14 2013 08:26 AM