Brooke Talks To Cyndi Lauper

Friday, January 03, 2014

For more than 30 years Cyndi Lauper has been a creative force, as a singer, songwriter, author and now composer of the music and lyrics for a hit Broadway play. In an interview that originally aired in May, Brooke talked to Cyndi Lauper before a live audience in NYC about her life, her art and where she draws her inspiration.

Watch Brooke's entire hour-long conversation with Cyndi Lauper below.

Cyndi Lauper - She Bop

Guests:

Cyndi Lauper

Hosted by:

Brooke Gladstone

Josh from Brooklyn, NY

Time After Time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FftK-yxcQGk

Jan. 07 2014 09:26 AM
Jo-Ann Long

I heard this in my car and was compelled to seek the whole interview... so glad I did. She is an inspiration.. one of my heros and Brooke you are fantastic in your admiration and ease.... what a beautiful come back story you were able to weave. So glad to have the experience....always loving Cindy Lauper then hearing/seeing this special piece. It's so true(as Cindy says) hearing and seeing is oh so different. Both moving but different. Thank you

Jan. 05 2014 09:30 PM
Pamela Tish from Dupo, IL

What a great interview. Cindy Lauper is never out of style!

Jan. 05 2014 07:01 PM
Ron Fischman from Philadelphia (WHYY)

Thank you, NPR! I still cry when I hear "Time after Time," and I can't even get through the song onstage. Cyndi doesn't know this, but it means the world to me that I now know the story behind her financial ruin, and that it's all about artistic and personal integrity. I had no idea why she disappeared. Now that I know the story of a member of my pantheon of female singers, I respect her even more.

Jan. 05 2014 02:29 PM
Vereene

Can someone tell me where can I get the version of Time After Time played in this segment?

Jan. 04 2014 02:09 PM
Betsy Robinson from New York, NY

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I cannot imagine a better interview. Brooke Gladstone, you are magnificent. And your appreciation of Cyndi Lauper's magnificence makes for something bigger than your dual magnificence. Thank you!

Jan. 04 2014 11:26 AM