Facebook Will Now Let You Block All Articles from Any Website

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Facebook has added a feature that actually, it seems surprising it didn’t always have.

You can now block content from any one website that you never want to see shared on your newsfeed again. If you’ve got a cousin who loves conspiracy theories, or a college friend who posts every single Upworthy article, you can put a stop to the deluge without unfriending either of them. To do this, just click the downward arrow at the top right of their post, and select “Hide All From X,” where X is the place you’re tired of seeing articles shared from.

Of course, this will only REALLY become useful when you can block by writer instead of outlet. Maybe you love Alex Goldman’s deep, insightful TLDR posts, but can’t stand the drivel that PJ Vogt hacks out. So many outlets have such a diversity of topic and talent, it’s hard to imagine a website that I’m sure I’d never, ever want to see an article from again, regardless of who wrote it.

Tags:

More in:

kilroyscarnival

Boys, boys. I enjoy both your drivels, equally.

Mar. 08 2014 06:03 PM
dan hawkins

i've been on a crusade, deleting/blocking anyone who posts a buzzfeed/upworthy article that appears on my newsfeed. consequently, i have no idea what pj is up too these days.
funny, just two days ago i started working on a joke app that blocks buzzfeed from your facebook newsfeed.

Mar. 04 2014 09:07 PM
Andrew

I was so excited when I read this! I immediately scrolled and scrolled through my FB feed to find a Buzzfeed article so I could block that site forever. Given how long it took to actually find one though, perhaps I've blown the problem out of proportion in my mind...

Mar. 04 2014 08:23 PM
Thomas Le Ngo

This is now new. If anything, it no longer works for me since I've taken the News Feed survey a few days ago.

Mar. 04 2014 05:28 PM
Jaden

Now if I could just block Facebook.

Mar. 04 2014 04:02 PM
Gary

It doesn't work. Just try this with Zimbio. FB tells you you won't see anything more from them, but it never, ever takes effect.

Mar. 04 2014 04:00 PM

I agree with the sentiment of the article as pertains to the drivel that PJ Vogt hacks out. Plz make author filter available thx.

Mar. 04 2014 12:04 PM
Joseph Bua from San Diego

I've been doing this for a while. I'm not sure how new it is.

Mar. 04 2014 11:58 AM
Eric Goebelbecker from Maywood, NJ

I only want articles edited. By. Brooke.

Mar. 04 2014 11:29 AM

Supported by

Embed the TLDR podcast player

TLDR is a short podcast and blog about the internet by PJ Vogt and Alex Goldman. You can subscribe to our podcast here. You can follow our blog here. We’re also on Twitter, and we play Team Fortress 2 more or less constantly, so find us there if you like to communicate via computer games from six years ago.

Feeds