I Want My Slow TV!

Friday, August 01, 2014

Fireplace (camknows/flickr)

The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation has been creating some of the world's slowest TV - shows like a 7 hour train ride or 18 hours of salmon fishing. Norwegian audiences are loving it. Last summer, Brooke spoke with Rune Moklebust of the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation about why he thinks so-called "boring TV" is actually quite exciting.

Guests:

Rune Moklebust

Hosted by:

Brooke Gladstone

Tom H from NJ

What I would give to NOT be bombarded by ridiculous commercials/infomercials every 5 minutes! This is what we pay for!!!??? Boring quiet and real would be wonderful.

Aug. 04 2014 07:12 PM
Donald

I'm surprised that the Puppy Channel wasn't mentioned. This American Life did a segment on it a few years back. http://www.thepuppychannel.com/category/news/

Aug. 04 2014 01:56 PM
Goldie from NYC

I would love having a channel to turn to when I want something quiet on TV. Now the only channel I can snooze to is ID which is mostly narrative in an even tone. Salmon fishing would give me a choice. I was visiting Stavanger last year and it is still quiet. A fresh relief from the streets in Manhattan.

Aug. 04 2014 01:20 PM
Bob H

Oh please. You never heard of the Channel 11 Yule log?
WPIX in New York ran looped footage of a fireplace for hours on end every Christmas for decades, starting in the early sixties.

Aug. 04 2014 01:01 PM
Allison from NYC

Where can I watch this in the US? I'd love to watch a burning log. Hulu has this but plays annoying Christmas music. I just want a burning long. Thanks.

Aug. 04 2014 11:13 AM
DManzaluni from NYC

This seems to be the first time OnTheMedia has ever missed the slightly obvious elephant in the room.

Some may find watching a log burn boring. Others clearly don't. But if there is one thing worse than boring, it is being subjected to boring, obnoxious and ANNOYING, eg housewives, Kardash, and lots of other, what you revealingly call "je-ne-sais-quoi" implementations of worse-than-boredom.

I for one would prefer watching logs burn, a train journey, or nature pass by than having the pants annoyed off me by these pathetic reality shows.

Aug. 04 2014 10:32 AM
MHardy from Manhattan

Nuh? So, what's new pussycat? October 1993. Vacationing with my son.Hotel in Bruges. We both are in bed, watching in TV a fire from a log, for hours on end. Mesmerized, we peacefully fall asleep. Next night: an interminable train ride seen from the front car. We slowly fall asleep... smiling.Ans so on and so forth.
Again, this was in 1993. And 20 years later this is presented as a novelty? Go figure!

Aug. 04 2014 08:42 AM
JimC from Northern NJ

A friend from Norway alerted me to the 5-day Hurtigruten live tv streaming, and I must admit that I spent many, many hours watching it! They did it again earlier this summer.

Aug. 03 2014 12:44 PM
Laine from NYC

In a book called "Came The Dawn," Cecil Hepworth, who had a very early film studio in Walton-on-Thames (the first maybe? 1899 was the beginning of the studio), he tells about the first films in England - or at least some of the very first films - that were just attaching a camera to that front part of a train, that snowplow sort of structure, for as long as the reel would run which wasn't that long, lots of film changes - so he figured out how to make the film longer, big on innovation in the beginning, and people flocked to see them. Extremely popular.

Aug. 03 2014 10:58 AM
Scott B from Maine

Great story but you should have done a little more research into the history of "boring TV" in Norway. It began WAY before 2009. I grew up in Stavanger, Norway in the 70's. A good portion of the day, on the single available channel, was devoted to "clock". This was a simulated analog clock that ticked away for hours on screen. At some point,in the mid 70's" it was upgraded to "fish + clock" which was the same clock superimposed over a fish tank full of fish!!!! It appears to me that Rune is trying to take credit for what was a long established tradition in Norway.

Thanks for another amazing show.

Aug. 01 2014 08:48 PM