Friday, December 07, 2012
The next print edition of the Associated Press Stylebook will include a new note on the word "phobia," advising writers to avoid the word in "political or social contexts," such as "Islamophobia" or "homophobia." The AP's announcement comes as a disappointment to George Weinberg, the New York pychotherapist who coined the term "homophobia" in 1965. He defends his word to Brooke as both an accurate descriptor and a valuable tool for the LGBT movement.
Do you have suggestions for a word to replace "homophobia" in the 21st century? Let us know!
Vic Chesnutt - You Are Never Alone
- The Cancer Show
- Podcast Extra: After Oregon
- That Facebook Disclaimer? Ignore It.
- We Got Scooped: SCOTUS Edition
- The Cancer Show: Part I
- Debunking Migration Memes
- Pope-ular Opinion
- The Cancer Show: Part 2
- Every Edit You've Ever Made to a Facebook Post Is Visible
- Looking Backward On The Presidency Of Donald Trump