Friday, October 12, 2012
In the 1930's, married couple Clem Whitaker and Leone Baxter founded Campaigns, Inc., the world's first political consulting firm. In the ensuing 30 years, Campaigns Inc. pioneered tactics like the out-of-context quote, relentless pamphleteering, and what we now call opposition research, all techniques that are part of the modern campaign playbook. Bob talks to Jill Lepore, New Yorker contributor and author of The Story of America: Essays on Origins about Whitaker and Baxter's political legacy.
- Confession and Suppression
- House of Cards Recap: What Would Jesus Do?
- The Breaking News Consumer's Handbook
- Is True Crime Jinxed?
- Every Edit You've Ever Made to a Facebook Post Is Visible
- Do URL Believe in Magic?
- 'House of Cards' Recap: Sic Semper Francis
- Episode 3: You Have Just Been Served
- The Incredible Virtual World of One of the Americans Killed in Benghazi
- Cashing in on Ferguson, That Letter to Iran, and Nihilism's Allure