Friday, April 05, 2013
On Sunday, the critically acclaimed AMC series Mad Men launches its sixth season. On Mad Men we see admen scrambling to match their ads to a new era - the 1960's. But in 1955, one real adman saw the future of advertising and it was funny. WNYC’s Sara Fishko tells the story of the pioneers of the "soft sell."
Friday, June 15, 2012
Mad Men's fifth season is over. From it's start, part of the show's allure has been the way it meticulously creates Manhattan in the 1960’s. Period specific language is part of that, but verbal anachronisms sneak in with surprising frequency. In this excerpt of the Lexicon Valley podcast, Bob Garfield and former OTM producer Mike Vuolo discuss the linguistic anachronisms in Mad Men.
- Dr. Oz, Narratives of Migration, and Cosmic Colors
- What Does a Body Good?
- Dr. Oz Fights For Credibility
- The Sad Puppy Takeover
- Narratives of Migration
- "Young, Charismatic, & Ambitious"
- Every Edit You've Ever Made to a Facebook Post Is Visible
- Our Technicolor Eye in the Sky
- Getting Clinical Trials On The Record
- Do URL Believe in Magic?